Friday, March 8, 2013

Such a fine baby girl

One of the things I haven't told many people is that we learned early on in this journey that Cora has an extremely rare genetic disease. It doesn't have a name; it's just an abnormality doctors identified when they took a close look at her DNA.

It's so rare, in fact, that no one else exists in all the medical literature with this exact condition. When we were informed, doctors were able to tell us virtually nothing about what it would mean for Cora. They could point to somewhat similar conditions, but the possible outcomes they referenced ranged from no impact, to ever-so-slight developmental delays, to very serious and potentially life-threatening problems. (That's a helpful array.)

Upon hearing this news, I was personally devastated. It was at a time when I believed the only issue we faced was a coarctation and VSD repair. My heart was already broken over that. Now doctors were telling me that Cora could possibly face other things.

But as she recovered from that surgery, she began to show us that she was not a worst case scenario; she was just a baby. And she started to do normal baby things, like drink from a bottle, smile, gain weight, and kick around. A wonderful and compassionate doctor at UCSF told us, "you can't go down all the theoretical scenarios of what might happen. All you can do is let Cora show you who she's going to be." True and beautiful words that I've carried as a motto.

At the time we were originally discharged in December, Cora was just a little baby, recovering from major surgery. I didn't want to and haven't wanted to tell anyone else about this other disease, probably because I've been afraid people would look at her differently. When I looked at Cora, she showed me she was a beautiful, wise, petite but very spiritually strong little girl. I have feared that others would see someone imperfect. Everyone loves a little child who is encountering challenges, but who will recover from them, and then one day run marathons or play on a soccer team. My fear is, what if her story is not as perfect?

Which brings us to today. We've had a frustrating few days at Stanford. There have been questions introduced about whether there might be other factors contributing to Cora being so sick, aside from just cardiac issues. A thought that sinks my heart. And here we are again, another time when I stand in one place that feels somewhat secure, only to see a road ahead that's confusing, and likely very, very long.

I deeply wish things were different.

But as usual, no one is asking me. So all I can do is take each moment as it comes. I have painfully little control over anything, except my ability to love Cora, and continue to let her show me who she is becoming.

Beautiful little lionheart, you are an amazingly fine baby girl. I just don't think you drew the easy straw in this lifetime.

11 comments:

  1. She is perfect. She is Cora.

    Xoxo
    Dana & co.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is perfect, and wise and wonderful and loved more than any baby I have ever heard of. Go, Cora, go! We are right behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the very day Cora was born, you and Jay have done everything possible so that we (everyone) can see just who Cora is and who she is becoming.
    She is a fighter - and has shown that every time she meets a new medical challenge - and God knows you have seen her come through a number of cliff hangers. She is a beautiful princess - enjoying spa treatments and bunny slippers. She is an adventurer - experiencing the country's most prominent hospitals with lions by her side. She is a traveler - wandering the halls in her NICU in her red wagon. She is spiritual - bringing people to prayer - who maybe don't usually pray so much. But most of all - she is a champion - winning the hearts of thousands of people (most of whom she has never met). She is your perfect little girl - she is everyone's perfect little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There seems to be no words except know that we love, care and pray for all as you face the smiles, the heartache, the challenges, the special moments and the love that you all share. We are here for you day and night. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do agree that Cora did not draw the easy straw of life, but she did grab the one that makes her the most "perfect" baby and person she will become... Perfect does not only mean flawless, it also means- Beyond Compare, Pure, and Wonderful. .Cora is the true definition of perfect.. I Love you Auntie RE..
    I also wanted to post this quote I found, it is from an Unknown Author... " Don't be discouraged, It is often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Grammie and Aunt Amy and Auntie RE- she's the perfect baby for our family! We couldn't love any little person more! Love, Auntie Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. And everyone has their own list of imperfections! Who is to say what perfect is? As if we know?

    What we know about Cora is that she strong despite the straw she pulled, that Cora has risen above so many difficulties, challenges, and cliff hangers as Margie says, and she moves on. She's got strength built-in.

    As do you, Meesh you have so much love to give to her, and strength to pull from and keep moving forward. One day at a time, baby steps. As Amy says, we will follow you wherever the road takes us. Cora will always be deeply loved by us, cherished, and respected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This post went straight to my heart. I have shared many of the same fears and questions with my own daughter when her DNA results came in. It became so frustrating when doctors would scratch their heads and not have clear answers since her anomaly is so rare.
      It's true our girls will write their own stories. My daughter is my "Porcelain Tiger" fragile but fierce. She continues to amaze me everyday, as I know Cora will do for you.
      I know how hard it is to sit on the sidelines while your sweet baby is poked, tested and retested.
      Hang in there, please know that you are not alone. Cora already has a community of people fighting for her and who love her!


      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  8. I never imagined I could love this little girl so much despite having never met her - from everything I have read and seen in photographs, Cora is nothing short of amazing and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paraphrasing Martha Beck from her remarkable book, Expecting Adam: "This little girl may not look like what you asked for.... She may not have the features you requested, or be able to perform all the tricks. But put her in place, and she will light up your life. You have no idea how much magic is in her."
    Sending love to you and your sweet and perfect Cora Vivienne.
    -Debbie Stewart
    ps Sent you a message on fb today. It might be in your "other" folder.

    ReplyDelete