Monday, March 4, 2013

Just another day here

Don't feel like I have a lot to say tonight, so I will keep it brief. Jason and I are both at the hospital for a couple of days. It isn't a romantic getaway or anything, but it's pretty wonderful to spend some time together.

They started Cora on her new IV infused medication this afternoon, which they hope will raise her heart rate. It's unclear whether or not she is tolerating it well -- her work of breathing has definitely increased. They've stopped and started it a couple of times and now have changed the dose. She's been steady now for a few hours, although it's not really raising her heart rate as of now, so I guess we'll see. Her doctors think if they could override her heart block and get her to a higher rate it could help her gain weight, which really is their primary focus right now. If she could only get bigger she would have so many more options, and where she sits now she hasn't gained anything in the last ten days or so.

Other than that, life is just going on.

As it has been on almost every other day since this journey began, I had some periods today where my gut was wrenched, and I had some good hard belly laughs (today it was thanks to my sister Jen, who spent tonight, her birthday, on a date with baby Cora.) I felt that motherly guilt for leaving two children to be with the third, and I also had the underlying knowledge that they truly will be and already are all right. I feared we will lose Cora, and I also believed she will one day be a healthy little girl, delighting all of us.

I felt grateful for all the family and friends, old and new, who just never seem to run out of love. I felt especially blessed to have two sisters who have just absolutely shined throughout this ordeal.

Jay is holding Cora as she sleeps now. All I can see of her is the top of her head, covered in soft little baby hair. Cords and tubes and beeps, currently pushed to the background by more important things, like hugs.

Cora Shabora, love surrounds you.

8 comments:

  1. Thinking of you all a lot and my heart goes out to you with all you're going through. You're such a special person, Michele, and Cora & Dom & Cosey are all so lucky to have you for a mom. And you and Jay and his parents are an amazing team -- along with all your wonderful family and friends. We send you love, prayers for a happy outcome, and continued strength to get through the days ahead.
    Much love, Margie & family

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it surrounds you, Jason, and your two little ones at home, Michele. We are all praying for the day when you will have all three of your precious children at home, growing and thriving and giving you group hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The endless waiting is hard. Let our love be a soft, warm blanket when you need it.
    -Dana, Christopher, Cooper, and Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe we all say a little prayer every day for you to be able to take Cora home, happy and healthy. These are the darkest hours but I pray for that light at the end of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meesh, I wake up every morning looking forward to reading your newest blog. I read them over and over. And, when I feel sad or lose hope I read the loving comments over and over. Then I picture all the thousans of us holding a net and adjusting our positions so we remain right underneath you. It makes me feel better. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being with you and Jay and Cora was the best birthday present ever! Along with having you (and Aim) as my sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am new to your blog and wiping my wet bleary eyes.
      I have been a part of your 'village' since right before Cora was born.
      Not all phases of my life did I believe, "it takes a village to raise a child", however my recent experience has proven... it does.
      I'm also suggesting it takes a village to raise up a family in love, too.
      There is so much love for you all, I am grateful for the caregivers and employers and family and friends (near and far) who are lifting you up in prayer and support.

      Love the wagon, love the crowd surfing net, love the love being sent your way throughout each and every day. Love that you have energy and vulnerability to share with us.

      We will meet someday,
      Yours,
      Sandy (friend of Jen)

      Delete