Friday, March 8, 2013

Just one day in the CVICU

Cora's day was no fun. She felt kind of pukey in the morning, and then had to take a trip to the Cath Lab (which is a space-age surgical room where they use ultrasound and other fancy technologies to do procedures.) She's been there twice before, but this time she went to get a new central line so she can start receiving IV lipids (fats) in addition to her enteral feeding. All part of the plan to help her grow.

She came back with a subclavian line and also on a ventilator, which she was furious about. Fortunately that was short lived and they were able to extubate her later this afternoon. She also came back with her NJ tube mysteriously gone, so she had to endure placement of yet another tube. Needless to say, she has been pretty wiped out this evening.

Some of the hardest things to watch are all the little and not-so-little hurts that make up life in an ICU. So many procedures, that would under normal circumstances be considered a very big deal, constitute just another day for Cora.

I'm incapable of any clear thoughts or reflections tonight. Exhaustion has arrived and is setting up shop.

Thank you again to everyone who loves and thinks of Cora. Know that your prayers protect her, and us, through all the roads and twists and turns, no matter what, without a doubt.

4 comments:

  1. my heart just goes out to your precious, brave little girl - and to all of you. prayers, hugs, good thoughts, and love - all coming your way daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Cora Shabora! Sounds like a hard day. I'm sorry, hon. Some days it just sucks. I'm hoping that today will be better for all of you. Love you and Cora lots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michele,
    I’m another supporter you haven’t met. I am sister to Jason’s friend Anders. Along with so many, I’ve been following in awe, tears, and profundity by all you are being challenged with, and your grace through it all.
    I think of you every day, one mother to another. Running is my prayer and meditation, and this morning I was soaring atop Mt Tam, through the manzanitas and above the great Pacific. My thoughts were with Cora in that magical place, and I sent her so much love and light. And asked that one day she will get to run her own mountain, whatever that may be.
    I’m sorry Cora’s days are so rough. I am sorry yours are so exhausting. You are giving so much of yourself, and I just wanted to say, what an amazing, strong, and loving mother you are. It’s just extraordinary. I wish there was something I could offer beyond my imperfect words to buoy you. But since that's all I have, wishing you peace and rest and endurance this evening.
    With love, Antonia

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I get to know Cora through your words, I sure do understand why you call her Lionheart. She is revealing herself as such a supreme fighter. I've spent some time as a social worker in a NICU, a family's life open to the world, life lessons available in every second. Your words reveal other Lionhearts in that space, lucky Cora to have such a family of fighters. Fighting as in being able to really Be with her, seeing her, giving her the very best chance at life. There is a picture of her looking in to the camera from an earlier post, her soul there for all to see. What beauty. Much love to you today. Deb Scholey

    ReplyDelete