Sunday, March 24, 2013

Just to add insult to injury, a fever

It has been a pretty crappy day for Cora. She's been struggling with a fever all day, and lots and lots of throwing up along with it. That means in addition to her normal labs she has had to have many extras today for blood cultures and all kinds of other tests. She is still working very hard with her breathing, still in heart block, and worse than that, you can just tell she feels awful, and therefore I feel awful, and things just seem a bit awful.

We are still at Stanford, but it sounds like a bed is supposed to open up at UCSF tomorrow. We will see.

Today Jay had to go to Marin for work all day so I had some good quality time juggling all the kids. Let's just say I picked my battles and there was an emphasis on snacks over nutrition, and an abundance of a certain Spider Man costume. We had to keep our visits to the hospital relatively brief because, as I've already explained in previous blog, this quiet environment tends to bring out the beast in my children. But my sister Jen and another friend jumped in to help and spent time with Cora while I entertained the others.

I would like to tell you about some of the moments today, good and bad, but as I write this I am at the hospital again with Cora and she is still having a very hard time. She doesn't so much care about my blog as she wants me to politely ask the nurses to stop trying to catheterize her, and help her go to sleep.

One final thing though: when I was walking with Dom and Cosie between the hospital and RMH for the fourth time this evening and everyone was feeling adequately torched, Dom said, "it's like Dori says mama, 'keep on swimming -- just keep swimming.'" Leave it to Dom to pull out a quote from a movie he probably hasn't seen in a year, just to remind me that he gets it, and that with his four-year-old wisdom he is helping us get through.

8 comments:

  1. Spiderman is one clever guy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Michele. Sunday sounds like it was a tough one. Just keep swimming is right. Love to you and little Cora. Hoping for a better day today.

    Bisous from France.

    Dana & co.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, your other good for nothing sister is in Vegas. Talk about adding insult to injury. ;) I'm so sorry about your day. It sounds pretty rough. I am hoping that today is better for Cora and you. I think it will be nice for you guys to get back to UCSF. Love you all. Xoxo, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dora rocks. That could be my fave quote from any children's movie. I think of it all the time but the fact that Dom said it, just makes my day! Love you Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dominic is a wise one, Michele. We're hoping for some more good days and a swift move back to UCSF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Meesh and Jason,
    sorry to hear about the setback. Also forgive us not coming to Stanford... John has been struggling with health issues.
    But we're going to pay a visit at UCSF when it's OK with you and the family. We'll keep in touch. Keeping you all in our prayers.
    Love,
    Tatiana & John

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're rooting for Cora to be able to overcome yet another hurdle that has been thrown at her. If anyone deserves a chance for a good life, it's this little baby who has endured so much. We keep hoping, along with you, for a happy outcome.
    love, Margie & family

    ReplyDelete