Friday, March 1, 2013

An observation at the market

Cora Bear had another good day today. On the medical front, although most everything was status quo, Jason said she seemed overall alert and happy all day.

One change was that they changed Cora's NG feeding tube (through the nose, into the stomach), to an NJ (through the nose, into the intestine). Cora "eats" through that tube, and she's on a constant infusion of milk, because it requires her to expend the least amount of energy to digest her food. Even still, because of her heart failure, Cora has a hard time keeping it down. The NJ tube will hopefully help her, which will be great because what we want more than (almost) anything is for her to grow. If Cora can get bigger, things will be overall better, especially if she needs a VAD, a pacemaker, or another surgical intervention before transplant. "Operation: Get Some Chubbies" is the primary focus of her medical team.

She went for another wagon ride with Dad today, and parked in front of the window for a long time. When she got back to her room she was happy to just sit in her wagon next to the crib for a while, enjoying the new position and different vantage point.

She had several visitors today and seemed to work her magic on them all, continuing her work of making people who love her feel grounded and good. I'm telling you, when you look in Cora's eyes it feels like someone very old is looking back at you, and she just kind of fixes you. 

Meanwhile back in San Rafael, while the kids and I were at the market I had the opportunity to see a few moms wrangling their kids in the checkout line. They were all clearly somewhat annoyed -- kids grabbing at things, whining for things -- moms in a hurry to move on with whatever the next scheduled part of the day was.

I have been that mom about three thousand and six times. But today, I wasn't.

In my normal life I am someone who is very much trying to do it all. Until about four months ago, I woke up every morning at 4am, worked at a wonderful but demanding job, came home and tried to mother the crap out of my kids, then rustled dinner together, Jason and I bathed and otherwise manhandled the kids, put them to bed, and then I returned calls, worked some more, hung out with Jason, and tried to have meaningful relationships with my friends in between.

I don't have much going on these days. In the heartbreak of having a sick child, I got beamed to a magic place where the only thing that matters is the real stuff. I don't have to name it all, because of course you know it already. It has to do with love, and mostly with accepting that life is painfully short -- whether or not you're in a situation like ours. And that the only way to combat all that fear is just to be where you are, as much as you can. 

I know it won't last forever. One day, some way, this situation will have passed and it will be something I talk about, that I went through, a long time ago. The logistics of life will start up in all their fury. But I hope this part of me stays a little bit in tact.

When I live wherever I am in each moment, I can see that what we're going through is just life: ginormous, graceful and beautifully connected. Filled with red wagons.



9 comments:

  1. Awww, I love this post. I think of you often when I get annoyed by my kids and think, "Don't be a douche." WWMD? Haha. Seriously, this has had a way of cutting through everything that isn't important and really making us appreciate all of the joy. I can't wait to see Cora today! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. You dont know me but I am a friend of Corey's in Lincoln City, OR. I have heard through her about Cora's Fight for a new heart. My son is 3 like Maya. He had a VSD repair at 3 months old. In the few weeks after we found out he need surgery I also experienced the "dont sweat the small stuff" kind of mentality. It did last awhile, but he recovered perfectly and has grown into a strong energetic 3 year old boy. I feel like lately i am always the crazy mom at the grocery store. Its a trying age and I'm struggling to have patients. After reading this blog I finished helping him in the bathroom gave him a huge hug and reminded him that he too is a fighter. And we are so lucky and blessed that he is so strong. Thanks for the incredible reminder to just love your kids. Cora has found a way to ground me even all the way up here in Oregon. Wishing you another good day with her. Just keep taking it one day at a time.
    Michelle Reid

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Michelle: You don't know me. I went to Elementary School and Middle School with Jason. My name is April (Tuders) Beauchamp. I heard about Cora through Jason's aunt, Marie. My heart and prayers go out to all of you. Cora's journey, and yours as well, is inspiring and this post reminds me as a first time Mom to take it all in and truly cheerish every moment even those wrangling and juggling moments. Sometimes in those moments it is hard to remember but as I read your family's journey, I will take Cora's story with me.
    My cousin's twins and baby boy went through some heart trouble when they were born too. They've had many surgeries and are happy toddlers. I pray for the same outcome for Cora and for those good days to continue. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And by sharing this with all of us, you are helping us to all see more clearly. To see and feel the real stuff. Thank you for sharing little Cora with us, and most of all for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can just picture Cora in the red wagon; what a great sight! I'm betting that you do always retain a bit of this outlook, Michele; you're going through so much, how could you not? Sounds like yesterday did you all a world of good. Here's to many more happy days, and to lots of chubs building up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again, another fantastic post. Had me so much in tears, especially at the thought of how we rush through the logistics. I don't know why, but some time ago I was blessed with a profound realization of how short life is. True, it fades... some days it is not there at all. But most days... most days it is there. And it gives me amazing gratitude for all of it.

    You are moving through this with such grace. And heartbreak. I admire you so much. Please keep the writing coming.

    H in CO.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog through Momastery. After reading every single one of your posts I needed to comment. All the way here in NJ, your Cora is loved and held up in prayer and positive energy. My 4 year old saw her picture and said, "Oh what a cute baby!" My Lilly and I will be praying for you all. Thank you for your beautiful writing and for sharing your journey. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also found your blog through Momastery and stopped to read your blog because I also have a Cora Bear. She and I are praying for your sweet little Cora Bear and your family. We will be over in NC following Cora's journey through your blog and we'll continue to pray that she will be able to get the heart she so desperately needs.

    ReplyDelete