Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Steps forward (made in bunny slippers, of course)

Cora seemed today as if she was making small strides in the right direction with this bug. She was definitely feeling better than yesterday but she still had some throwing up and didn't yet seem her happy self.

The surgery is tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, but it will be contingent upon her kicking the recent infection and on all her lab work coming back clean. She is still finishing a course of antibiotics which I hope will help make that possible.

Today the electrophysiologist showed me the pacemaker device they are planning to use. Because she's so small, even the smallest one is going to be very large on her (like a third the size of her abdomen.) It seems strange to think of a mini computer being implanted in her tummy, connected to what are basically mini jumper cables, fixed to her heart. I'll just toss that in my backpack of strange and very alien concepts that are my reality. I've built a nice collection.

One of my amazing college friends spent the day with me today, doting on sweet Cora and keeping me entertained. Back in those days when we used to yap for hours on our porch, I certainly never would have dreamed we would one day be yapping at my child's bedside in a hospital. That's life, I guess.

We are continuing to feel so loved at UCSF. Each day we've been there, some combination of doctors and nurses have stopped by to see Cora and to welcome us back. I can truly feel how loved she is, and it comforts me beyond measure. I even got to see the nurse I wrote about in one of my entries that always told Cora (in a very thick southern accent) that she was, "such a fine baby girl." I got to tell her that those rich and loving words rang through my mind and carried me through many dark moments when I doubted Cora or my ability to bear things.

We have received enough love through all of this to feel embarrassed about.

I'm not sure what this experience will mean in the long term, what the purpose will be (if any) or what the lessons will look like when they're all told, but I know that Cora has touched people and she has changed some of them a little bit. She has changed me, that's for sure. Things I once feared I can now approach bravely. I can see kids facing challenges -- other kids in the hospitals we've lived in -- and more than what apparatuses they're attached to, or what disabilities they display, or what sad story they may be living, I can see them. Their big smiles or their loud cries or what their faces look like. And I can most of the time see everything that's right with Cora, more than everything that's wrong. She has led me through a magic door and into a new side of me.

4 comments:

  1. We treasure each blog that you send about your journey with your fine baby girl. An amazing family... An extraordinary Mommy & Daddy ... fabulous brother & sister and a courageous and FINE baby girl in her bunny slippers. Our prayers continue. Love & hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele-
    Thank you for sharing your story with us all. I am so glad that Cora had a better day on Wednesday. We are feeling so far away, but send our love across the miles.

    -Dana & co.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michele,

    We don't personally know each other but I went to highschool w/ your sisters so have been following your updates about Cora thru their facebook pages;) Please know that your sweet baby girl has touched my heart in so many ways and that your family is in my thoughts and prayers. I look forward to reading your updates when I can - hoping that with everyday it is a step forward in the right direction so you can bring your sweet baby girl home. You are such an eloquent writer and everytime I read your updates, I have tears in my eyes. It brings back so many memories of the days my 2 boys spent in the NICU the first weeks of their lives and the struggles and hope that each day brings. Sending you lots of hugs, love and prayers! Continue doing what you are doing - you are an AMAZING mom! BTW, love the bunny slippers!

    Heather Z.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my goodness, those bunny slippers are just as perfect and sweet as Cora is. Thank you so very much for bringing all of us into your world. You are a gifted writer and Cora is so very lucky to have such an incredible mother, father, sister, brother and loving extended family. You are all in my thoughts and prayers every day and I so hope to be able to visit you soon.
    love and hugs,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete