Sunday, April 7, 2013

Happy, amongst all the other emotions

Greetings from Anaheim! I told Dom where we were going when I woke him up this morning, and he immediately went into Cosie's room and said, "Cosie, we're going to Disneyland! We're gonna see Darth Vader and Buzz!" She rolled over, rubbed her eyes, and said, "I wanna see a Storm Trooper."

We have had a wonderful day down here, and even got to see some of our southern cal relatives, who we don't see nearly often enough, and my sister and her family, who we adore.

Jay is with Cora and she is tucked in and sufficiently snuggled for the night. She had a so-so day, still breathing way too fast for no known reason. He said she just seems a bit uncomfortable and restless. But he also said when he walked in today and picked her up, she went right to sleep. She was happy to see her daddy.

It sounds like the hype about wanting to discharge Cora before the cath has died down, and more likely discharge won't be until after Thursday now. Of course, everything hinges on the results of the cath. Given the improvement on echo, the cardiologists expect to see reassuring numbers in the this procedure. However something may turn up that isn't visible on echo, which would be surprising and complicating. Then there is the additional variable of what the EP study will reveal (if anything definitive).

It definitely feels strange to be down here with the kids and a friend of mine, without Jay and Cora. Despite how much fun we had today, every time I saw a baby roughly Cora's age I couldn't help but ache a little. Couldn't help but, for a minute, wish with all my heart that I was schlepping her around in a carrier like I did so many hundreds of times with the other kids, till my back was going to break, and my feet were going to fall off.

That's how it should be.

But for today we are happy down here. Mixed happy. New happy. Happy-sad. All the myriad emotions, as usual, but with an extra helping of happy today, which feels nice.





1 comment: