Friday, May 24, 2013

Some good progress, some psycho toddlers, and a memory from last fall

I've decided that writing this blog at the end of every day is kind of a bad idea. By the time we make it through a day, and all the way through getting everyone down for the night, I'm more or less dog tired, out of motivational feelings, and wondering what was so bad about my calm, mellow life with Jason long before we decided to take the one-way plunge into parenthood.

In any case, I'm writing this after another bedtime circus, so it might not sound as upbeat as it would have if I'd written it three hours ago.

But things are looking somewhat up around here. A couple of nights ago I was truly at my wits' end with everything, and then yesterday by midday I got a bit of a reprieve. Though Cora is still struggling to beat this virus, she seems to have turned a corner and is getting slightly better instead of slightly worse. We're having fewer scary episodes and more smiles. We ran an errand at the mall!

Meanwhile our other kiddos are acting like periodic psychopaths. I think we may be experiencing the after effects of so much chaos and such a strange lifestyle for a prolonged amount of time. Who knows exactly why, but they are both acting out and pushing us to the limits, every day, almost all of the time. I know that everything is a phase (I hope everything is a phase), but the current phase of perma tag-teaming us and behaving like twerps is a tiring one. They never act out toward Cora; just toward us. I'm hoping for a new phase soon.

Lately I've been fantasizing about last September when Jason and I went to Kauai for five long, luxurious days, all alone. Well, Cora came along for the ride, but she was in that very quiet, very portable phase. All we did for those five days was lounge on chaises by pool and the beach, read our books, sleep, eat, and swim. We didn't even snorkel. It felt like too much work.

I have often gone back to that place in my mind and reflected on how unaware I was of what was coming. I knew our lives would change with a third child, but I truly thought it would be easy-breezy, no big deal whatsoever. Third time's the charm. It was as though I was laughing with friends in a casual conversation about nothing, strolling along on a Sunday afternoon, and suddenly I fell into a manhole.

Thank goodness we can never know what's coming. We'd spend our whole lives filled with fear, and we'd always underestimate just how much we could get through.

Whenever I get overwhelmed I think of the advice a good friend gave me at the beginning of Cora's life. I was confiding in her some of my fears about how I was going to be able to raise a child with issues, and wondering how I would walk through everything that was coming. That day she told me something that stuck with me. She said, from where you're sitting today, you can't do those things. You don't have anywhere near the tools you'd need to make it through those scary things. But you do have the tools to make it through today. And when you get to tomorrow, and to the rest of those scary things, you'll have the tools then too. But you can't get them in advance. That's just not how it works.

When I feel like I can't do it, I remember that I am, actually, doing it. Right now. This is what "doing it" looks like. How I wish it looked more like a greeting card! But instead, it looks like a big, complicated, beautiful, horrifying, embarrassing, love-fest. Just a big old soup of life. And no matter how tired or frustrated I am by it, it is still pretty delicious.








5 comments:

  1. Michele,

    I started reading your blog a couple of weeks ago (how bad I feel that I was completely unaware of what you were going through, caught up in our own silly dramas). You awe me. Your writing is real and astute and shows me what I only had chances to glimpse before: how smart, funny, loving, and strong you are. Alan and I think about you and your family every day, we silently cheer on every step forward, and we always, always wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele,
    I have tried to post comments at least a dozen times, but always have issues. If you're reading this now, it FINALLY worked! I am a friend of Julie Reese Navarro's, and started reading your blog months ago. I want you to know that I've been praying for your family, and thinking of you throughout each and every day. I end every night by going to your blog to catch up. You are a beautifully talented writer - and have such a tender way of telling the whole truth. Cora is so lucky to have you as her advocate. You are the bravest woman I know, and I am grateful to be a part of your story - one of those many sitting on the sidelines cheering you all on. Thank you for sharing the most intimate corners of your life with us. And might I add, I just want to gobble Cora up - she's simply delicious, just like that soup :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Michele, I hope you realize that Cora is bringing another look into your future; you my dear, will be an incredibly famous author; with the birth of Cora your destiny has been put into action.
    How you bring together all the emotions of daily life; the joys, the challenges, the fear, the frustration with all the honesty you have in your bones, is amazing. You are such a gifted person (one of the reason you were given Cora)but through this birth Cora has let you express yourself to the world and we, the lucky world, have had the joy of living it through your blogs.
    Thank you for being honest and straight forward. I hope you see that you are suppose to continue to write; whether it be your blog or your own daily journal,you were put here to help many others get through their daily lives with all its challenges one day at a time.
    Of course for us, who live with you through your honest blogs; we hope we hear about Cora for the rest of her life.
    Thank you for being you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You amaze me with your daily life. It's so easy to get caught up in your own day to day, it's raining today and we are stuck inside boo hoo nonsense. You were saying that writing at the end of the days isn't always a good thing because you are not upbeat and positive. I think it just makes you even more real that you already are. Gosh, who is positive all the time at the end of a hard day with healthy children? I'm certainly not with a 2.5 year old and a four month old. But you are doing it with three and one of them takes all of your efforts and then some. I continue to pray for your beautiful family, sending love, light and prayers from CT from the mom of Cora Jean to the mom of Cora Vivienne!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a fantastic post – immense clear and easy to understand. I am also holding out for the sharks too that made me laugh. wholesale baby shoes

    ReplyDelete