Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mom of the Year

We had an early Mother's Day celebration today and our whole gang of family met at the hospital, visited Cora, and then walked to Golden Gate Park to have a picnic and play. It was awesome to all be together. Not much makes me happier than being with my family.

I was pretty surprised when we got to the park and my sister Amy presented me with a giant basket of Mother's Day cards and goodies. There must have been a hundred cards in there, some from family and close friends; others from people I've never met. I continue to be floored by the overwhelming generosity I've been shown. The cards, the letters, the care packages, the emails, and the comments on Facebook and to this blog -- all have touched me deeply. I thank you so sincerely for letting me know you're there and that you support us, and that Cora is a part of your daily life. I honestly feel like I have been given strength through this process because of other people's willingness to carry some percentage of it on their shoulders, in order that the load wouldn't overwhelm me.

It was surreal and moving reading all of the beautiful comments people wrote about what a great mom I am, and how lucky my kids are to have me. However, I dare say rumors about the caliber of my mothering may have been overstated! As an example, let me point to the moment, shortly after reading the lovely cards, when I screamed at Dominic, loud enough to turn heads at the carousel. It was so perfect actually. We had just had these picturesque moments when all the kids were gleefully tossing a frisbee as we nibbled on our lovely food and read cards from Cora's loyal fans. Then Dominic laid down, screaming, on the pavement to protest having to share his ice cream, Cosie body-slammed Dom in the stroller and bit his nose, and they both cried all the way back to the car. (This moment will likely be the subject of late night text sequences between my family members, on which I'm not included.)

God, I love motherhood.

Bless the greeting card manufacturers, but it just really isn't like they make it out to be. At least not for me. There is absolutely nothing heroic about my mothering techniques. For every moment where I have really shined, there was one when I thought, if this situation were played on a billboard for all my friends driving by to see, would I be proud? Not so much. I guess it's just tenacity more than anything. And my deep down belief that if you just love the hell out of your kids, even if you're a complete bonehead, you can't mess them up that badly.

Speaking of loving my kids, Cora has had another good day here in 7 North. She's still receiving her chest physical therapy and her lung treatments to help her overcome this virus. She looks good. Lots of smiles and that signature Cora delight. She loved her visitors and being with the family. She was born into a social family and has fallen nicely in step with all of us who believe life is just better when shared with other people as much as humanly possible.

Right now she is sleeping like a little angel, surrounded by her growing army of lions. She is the definition of precious.

A few days ago, a nurse asked me if I worried that when we take Cora home, she will not be accepted by our family and friends because of her genetic disease and her challenges. I almost laughed. I worry about a lot of things, but I never worry about that. Cora, star of the internet! Beloved baby. I worry more than anything that all you baby vultures out there will just eat her up.







2 comments:

  1. What an awesome day. You deserve all the praise, Michele, and then some.

    Xoxox
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special day for a truly amazing family! A family filled with outstanding loving mommies. So happy precious Cora is feeling better and filling your day with smiles and happy moments. You are so right not to worry... Be assured each of us love each of you and precious baby Cora unconditionally and we anxiously await the day she arrives home to the loving yellow house to be surrounded by family and lots more love Have a Happy Day xoxoxo Debbie &Flip

    ReplyDelete