Sunday, May 5, 2013

For Cora, big things are possible

Well, we did it.

It wasn't always pretty but our team managed to find a way to finish The Relay for the ninth time, despite ninety-seven degree heat on Saturday, one runner lost due to injury, and the fact that Jay and I had together completed a total of about five training runs leading up to the event.

As usual it was a blast -- a weekend filled with a disproportionate load of laughter considering how much physical pain it inflicts, and how very little sleep it offers. It was really wonderful just to be with our friends for the weekend and leave most of the stress and heartache of our normal life behind.

As we passed the Cora Lion bracelet from runner to runner, I think we all had a chance to reflect, each in our own personal way, on Cora's journey. For me, there were many moments when I felt for whatever reason I didn't have the umph to finish my legs. And during those times I asked Cora to give me a little of that strength she so flawlessly demonstrates everyday. It made me think of how ironic it is that I should be asking for something from her, when of course it should be the opposite. But as you know, she is my angel baby who always gives more than she takes and who quietly shows people so much more grace than we could ever model for her.

At one point in the night I was running in the pitch black, unable to see more than a few feet in front of me by the light of my headlamp. I couldn't help but think about the similarities between that experience and our journey with Cora. Life is so much less scary when you focus on the three feet ahead rather than all the fears about what's coming a hundred yards or a mile ahead. There are always those moments where you think, oh crap! I'm all alone in the dark and I don't know what's coming or how long this will go on! But then you take a breath, remember Cora and get washed with love, you believe you are in fact not alone, and you trust that eventually the road will lead somewhere you recognize or understand. It's amazing what you can do just by putting one foot in front of the other.

It sounds like Cora enjoyed her weekend with Grandma, Aunties and many friends. It felt so good to get texts and photos of Cora with her various admirers. Not much has changed on the medical side, she is still in the ICU, more or less in the same shape as last week. But she got lots of holds and gave lots of little smiles. One of my friends said Cora spent a long time telling her about the day in her sweet little baby voice. She does love attention.

I love that I can share Cora with our family and our community, and that even though she can't seem to leave a hospital room she has already touched people and opened their hearts. I know she touched our team members' hearts, and it felt like being in all those hearts this weekend she was able to experience some beautiful moments out there in the big world.







3 comments: