Wednesday, July 3, 2013

In so many ways, lucky

My thinking isn't quite right.

Having just put Dominic and Cosette to bed, I was considering what I should do next. I thought about writing a blog post, but then I thought, no, I'll go for a run. That sounds so great! So I went to get ready, only I remembered after a minute that Jay isn't home, and last I checked, it wasn't too cool to leave your house with two children in it. I thought for a minute about the fact that they are likely down for the night. Would it be okay in that instance? But some small shred of logic kicked in and I decided that, leaving children -- sleeping or not -- is an activity that is generally frowned upon. So no run tonight.

Let's just say, I know I have lost some neurons and synapses through this ordeal.

It was a hard day for Cora. Today, even more of her electrolytes were depleted. That meant no real progress on drying out her lungs, because the focus continues to be on electrolyte replacement. Her breathing was very labored today, and she was grumpy. Then she spiked a fever, which is never a good thing, but especially not in a hospital setting and not when you already have so many complicating factors in play. Because of the fever they sent blood cultures to make sure she doesn't have an infection brewing. Yesterday they also sent panels which will show if Cora has a respiratory virus. My gut is that she doesn't have a bug, but of course my gut is not the deciding factor.

We'll see. A sickness right now would be a setback. It will be 48 or 72 hours until we have any definitive results from those tests. So in the meantime we just wait to see which way she is turning.

Today was another day of the juggling master class for me. I left the hospital late last night, came home and slept for a few hours, went to work, went to see Cora, then came home at dinner time because Jay needed to leave for an appointment. Luckily, even though I was only able to spend a couple of hours with Cora, she had a very full social calendar of friends and family who came to entertain her (one of whom is still there as I write this.)

If I haven't mentioned this lately, we are so very grateful for our extraordinary network of friends and family who are always there for us, and who seemingly never reach the bottom of selflessness.

I've been reflecting on how, in so many ways, Cora is the luckiest little girl on earth. If she would have been born a healthy child, she would have been just ours -- mine and Jason's. People would have admired her, and they would have loved her. But they wouldn't have known her any more than we know the true heart and soul of any of our friends' children.

But because she was born with these unique challenges, we have had to share her. Because I've tried to share her soul and her character, people have loved her. And because there have been complexities, I've kept writing about her. Because the logistics of our life have been so challenging, I've had to ask for help. And with every complicated turn in the road, more people come into her life and into her story. And each of those people give love that fuels her, and each person who adores her pushes her forward.

And though I get the extreme privilege of being Cora's mom, I feel like she is a lucky little girl who belongs to a thousand people.

4 comments:

  1. I've been reading about Cora for a few months now. I'm a pediatrician in Missouri and I found your blog via Momastery. Thanks so much for sharing sweet Cora. Although I've never posted, I think of you all often, and keep you in my prayers. I agree, she is such a lucky and special little girl. And you are a FANTASTIC mommy! I have three kids similar in ages to yours, and it is SO much work, even without all of the extra challenges that you are facing. Keep on keepin' on, little mama. You've got someone cheering you on from MO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your blog and what this lovely pediatrician just wrote you fills my heart with so much love, Michele. You are indeed a fantastic mommy and woman. You continue to be an inspiration to me, 7 ears and counting. Thank you for all you are. Sending love to sweet Cora and your family over this holiday weekend. -Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post and so true, I am one of the many who love sweet Cora from afar and hope and pray and cheer for you and your family. I am continually astounded at your clarity of hope. i am here, "holding space" for you (that thought goes through my mind every day I read your posts, it is another idea from Momastery and I love that - all I can do is listen and let you know there is yet another person in this vast world thinking about you and your sweet family.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele, You, your family and especially little Cora are in our thoughts and prayers every day. You are so right that you've touched so many lives.
    Love and prayers,
    joyce
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete