Saturday, February 23, 2013

A load of ten-pound weights

[The word on the street is that it's very difficult or near impossible to comment on this blog. If you've been frustrated or cursing at your phone, I'm sorry about that. (For what it's worth, I think you can only comment from a computer? Not from a phone?) Anyway...]

Cora had a so-so day today. One of the things that's complicating her condition is that she has developed heart block, which basically means that for every beat her heart is trying to generate, only about half are actually being conducted. A dangerous condition for anyone, but especially someone who already has a terrible squeeze of her heart. (If you can't squeeze a lot of blood on each beat, you need a lot of beats to compensate.) In addition to just blocking, her heart also does what I call "tricks." Crazy arrhythmias, weird patterns and, in general, things that are scary. Because no one really understands the cause of her heart block, and because it keeps changing patterns, people worry. I worry.

I live with the worry that Cora's heart will just stop. 

Last night I was sitting on the couch ready to settle into some mind-numbing Top Chef when I got a message from Jay that Cora had presented a new pattern. They were doing a gas (which is when they draw labs to measure her blood gases) and taking an EKG to learn more. No matter how many times we've seen Cora do something worrisome that required further looking into, no matter how many times some drama necessitated a good ten medical practitioners to gather around her bedside, it still sinks my gut. 

You see, there is this hole in my gut. I got it the night Cora was born and they took her to the NICU. The room had the eerily quiet sound of all our euphoria falling flat on its face. No crying baby, nothing to say. That kind of let down made a hole in me. Some days and some moments, it's small, just quietly being there. But then there are those moments when the spooky stuff happens, and the hole gets bigger and heavier. Each time that happens it eats another ten-pound weight. And most of the time it amazes me that I can hoist myself to stand up with all those weights living in there.

That's what it feels like a lot of the time. But this girl has an amazing ability to go right to the edge, peer over and lose her balance, then right herself and come back. And Dom and Cosie and Jason unload those weights, just by being them, when the load gets too heavy.

Cora was okay for last night, and she has been okay-ish today. Everything I fear is what could have happened had she slipped off that edge, or what might happen later if she does.

For tonight, Jay is there with her and I am with the kids, and everyone is safe. In fact Jay just sent me a picture of Cora oogling at one of our friends who is there holding her. Cora has a big smile on her face. I'm sure our friend has an even bigger one. She is making everyone feel better, mostly me, even now, as she always does.

9 comments:

  1. I wake up each morning hoping to hear a positive update on Cora. She is on our fridge and we look to her to give us strength in our day and to remind us to be positive and kind. I am just inspired by her and by both of you. Jim and I would be happy to help take some of that weight away from all of you. Let us know if we can help with food, have the kids over to play, anything...just know we are here and we are sending so much love and support your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele - I was in the graduating class with your sisters, Amy and Jen, so I have been following your story through their facebook posts. I believe my husband Ryan Portier was in your class. I have shared your blog with him as well. I just want to let you know that my family is thinking of your family. Thank you for sharing your story, it takes a lot of courage to write AND post it. We are sending strong, healing thoughts and prayers your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. michele, your beautiful words bring tears to my eyes with every post - but they are tears of faith and hope, as well as love. i've only met you three times, i think, yet i have come to care so much for you and your family through your posts and your strength. we've always cared for the bousquets, of course, but reading how you and jason are handling this, and keeping life as good as possible for your two little ones at home, just blows me away. i know that i would not handle anything like this as well as you two are, while dealing with your own fears at the same time. i don't know if anybody has been prayed for more than little cora, and my prayers every day include the plea that you will be granted the happily ever after life that dom has predicted! thank you for sharing cora's story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele-

    All of you are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. Every time we visit a cathedral here (there are many over here in France!), Cooper and Charlotte light a candle for baby Cora. We love you all.

    -Dana, Christopher, Cooper, and Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele - When we make the choice to bring these little beings into our lives, we do so knowing that they are going to turn our world upside down and that is just part of the experience. However, it sounds like Cora has you guys on quite the roller coaster ride so far and I commend you on your positive attitude. Lots of upbeat thoughts and prayers being sent from our family to yours.

      Cora's strength brought a smile to my face.

      Delete
  6. Our deepest pain is also our greatest joy. I am praying for Cora's miracle along with all of you. Her spirit is soaring through you Michele and her life it is truly moving and inspiring. The way you have all so bravely, and proudly, accepted her place in this world is just amazing.

    Keep letting go of those weights! Thank you for sharing your story and for sharing Cora with all of us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michele, I know this is the last reason that you'd ever want to write a blog, but it is an exceptional way to keep your family and friends in the loop without your having to email or call us individually. We can feel your sorrow when things are not going well, and we'll feel your joy when things start looking up for Cora. I hope the writing helps to lift those weights, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michele, trying again to post from a few days ago. But all I want to say now is "ditto." The comments above perfectly express what I was trying to say. May God continue to be with all of you and give you the strength you are somehow finding throughout this very difficult journey you are on. You, Cora, and all of your family are in my thoughts throughout every day. I so look forward to the day I will be able to meet little Cora (and Cosie!) under joyous, "we made it to the miracle!" circumstances. Love to all of you,

    ReplyDelete